We live in a world where everything is at our fingertips. It takes no effort to be connected to the world and to be on the internet. Whether it’s scrolling through social media sites, looking up random questions and facts, watching youtube, or online shopping, people are constantly connected to and active on the internet. This opens up a whole new world of advertising different from the classic tv and newspaper ads. Just like all advertisings, online ads are not without some level of risk, but the rewards seem to be well worth the risk.
- Ad blinding is a huge flaw in online advertising that ironically becomes more relevant the more people uses the internet and social media to advertise. People become so used to seeing ads and are hit with this information overload that keeps them from fully processing your ad.
- Ad blinding becomes particularly accurate when you take in the concept of ad blocking, brought to us by google chrome. This allows consumers to turn off ad options on their computer so that your ad is never even viewed by them.
- Online advertising can also be hard to control, especially when it comes to social media. People can take videos and play them over and over, which can be beneficial. Or they can use it to spread negative beliefs about your company. Negative comments (not just constructive criticism, but comments meant to harm and attack your company) are free to appear on social media and other internet resources. By using online advertising you are accepting that you can’t completely control your ad anymore.
- One of the main concerns about advertising is the cost of the ad. Online advertising is often much cheaper than tv or newspaper ads and you have the freedom to edit, change, or update your ads even after the initial posting.
- Online ads may put some control into the hands of the viewers, but it gives you more control as to what demographic is viewing your ads. You can pick regions, specific sites, or specific searches to bring up your ad. Most websites offer a host of information about their viewers so you can tailor your ads to that specific demographic.
- Social media marketing through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other sites create a relationship with consumers that allow for more personal interaction and an actual long term relationship can be formed.
- Best of all, online advertising can be kept constant, relevant, and provides instant gratification. Unlike television ads, if someone views an ad applicable to their needs they can find the website and order what they need immediately. this makes their ad more effective because consumers can act before they forget what they’ve seen.
People can go back and forth all day about whether or not it’s more effective to use online advertising or traditional methods, but at the end of the day, we are becoming a community with unlimited online access. Every spare minute is filled with social media, youtube, and online searches. Online ads will be seen and are easy to utilize.